Openismus 7

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ll be moving back to Berlin at the end of May. Making the move has become even more exciting after learning that I’ve been chosen as one of the new trainees for Openismus. Since Murray has made the announcement, I thought I’d introduce myself to the community.

First of all, I should state that I’m American despite what the umlaut in my last name would suggest. My last name was Wilson before taking my wife’s last name just before our daughter, Vada, was born a couple years ago. I met my wife in Berlin and am very familiar with the city, having lived there from October ’99 until late 2005. I love Berlin and am excited to be moving back.

In a few weeks I’ll be graduating with a BS in Computer Engineering from San Diego State University. While in school I interned at a small company programming mostly in C++. I learned a lot from my work there but feel like I’ve got lots more to learn.

I’ve been a long time GNOME user after being converted from KDE at about the 2.4 release. Before starting school I’d occasionally submit bugs for Ubuntu and GNOME. I even attended GUADEC in Stuttgart where I met lots of interesting folks and got really inspired. But, alas, school started and free time vanished. We then sprouted a family which is a timesink, but such a wonderful one. Having a chance to learn and contribute on the job is a chance I couldn’t pass up.

I’m very much looking forward to the opportunity that I’m getting at Openismus to learn about and contribute to the projects I’ve been following so closely for so long.

Thanks Murray and Openismus.

7 thoughts on “Openismus

1. Reply michael Apr 30, 2010 07:57

The former trainee says: Welcome back to Berlin!

You also love the right kind of sport, though I am afraid we cannot offer you a “1. Bundesliga” football club any longer …

2. Reply Chris Apr 30, 2010 11:19

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yeah, it’s rather depressing that Germany’s largest city has no 1. Bundesliga representation. I’m optimistic that the situation will be rectified in a year.

The Union vs. Hertha matches should be interesting, though.

See you in a month.

3. Reply andre klapper May 1, 2010 06:33

Looking forward to meeting you in the Berlin office!

4. Reply Chris May 1, 2010 23:25

Ebenfalls, Andre. I made the mistake of watching your Bugzilla activity. I’ve never received so much email.

5. Reply Mathias May 2, 2010 00:30

> The Union vs. Hertha matches should be interesting, though.

Yeah! Ideally we’d have seen them in 1. Bundesliga, but guess this way we’ll get more of them: Union still needs to consolidate, Hertha needs time to recover.

Well, that also only will happend when Hertha gets a license for 2. Bundesliga, which will be a problem with all their debts…

6. Reply Chris May 2, 2010 10:57

They’ll get a license. I remember this conversation when Union was relegated to the Regionalliga. They got their backing and spun off a few good years.

There is too much pressure in German football to have more representation from the East (I’m speaking geographically not politically) for them to not get a license.

7. Reply Patricia May 5, 2010 15:37

Congrats! Looking forward to meet you at Openismus too!