This page is dedicated to the many wonderful and growing resources dealing with Open Source Software on the internet. For each, I’ve learnt or hope that others can learn something about the many tools that are available in the Open Souce world.
- Nine things you should know about Nautilus – A short description of some nice yet lesser-known features in the Nautilus file manager available in Gnome 2.14.
- SSH Tricks – Nice overview of SSH’s (secure shell) capabilities
- Dive into Python – A great on-line book about programming Python. There is also a print edition.
- Learn To Program Ruby – A nice guide to Ruby for new programmers.
- strace – A very powerful troubleshooting tool for all Linux users – A straight forward mini-tutorial showing how to use strace to trouble-shoot software problems on Linux.
- How to Report Bugs Effectively – When you find a bug in software you want to get it fixed. With Open Source Software filing a bug with the responsible project is the way to do this. This link will help you to file effective bug reports.